Tuesday’s Boys Soccer: Tigers Take Down Bobcats

By The Chronicle

Centralia scored a goal in each half and kept Aberdeen in check throughout the game to earn a 2-0 win in an Evergreen 2A Conference boys soccer match at Tiger Stadium in Centralia on Tuesday.

The win means the Tigers are all alone in first place in the EvCo at 5-1 with four games to play.

Mario Silva scored the lone tally of the first half in the 29th minute. Alex Alvarenga scored in stoppage time of the second half to insure the win.

“They played really good and played a really good defensive game. We pretty much controlled the whole tempo of the game,” Centralia coach Phil Strodemier said. “They had a few breakaways but we were able to counter all of that. We’ve been working on defense in practice because we’ve given up 5 PK’s because of defense playing sloppy in the box. We’ve been adjusting to that part of it.”

Centralia (6-3-1, 5-1) travels to Tumwater to take on Black Hills on Friday in a league contest.

Beavers Reel in Fishermen

ILWACO — The Beavers scored two goals in the second half to separate themselves and earn a 3-1 win over Ilwaco in a 1A Evergreen League boys soccer game here on Tuesday.

Tenino scored first in the 14th minute as Salvador Ontiveros found Anthony Levi for a goal. The lead didn’t last long as Ilawco’s Ethan Personius scored in the 18th minute to even the score at halftime.

The Beavers regained the lead in the 65th minute. Chris Ramez fed Zack Russell for a goal and the same pair connected to put the icing on the victory cake in the 80th minute.

Devin Billings made five saves in goal for Tenino. The Beavers outshot Ilwaco 12-6.

“I thought we played well. This was out by the beach, rainy, grass field that was already messy to begin with,” Tenino coach Kevin Schultz said. “First half, it took us a while to get our footing. We played pretty well. Chris getting a couple assists, Zack did a good job of combining with him.”

Schultz noted the performance of Terrance Taylor on defense, making his first career varsity start. He also noted the performance of Toby Suess on the backline.

“Both did a good job of stepping up and winning the ball. Ilwaco has a couple quick kids up top and they did a good job of cutting off passes to him which was really key for us tonight,” Schultz said. “I’m really proud of the effort.”

Tenino (3-5-1, 3-4) hosts Chimacum on Thursday in a non-league game.

T-Birds Blank Bearcats

TUMWATER — The Thunderbirds held W.F. West to just four shots as they defeated the Bearcats 3-0 here on Tuesday in Evergreen 2A Conference boys soccer action.

Zach Stuart helped Tumwater break a scoreless tie just before halftime with a goal off of a penalty kick in the 39th minute.

Dagm Lester added a goal for the T-Birds in the 47th minute and Austin Mikesh chipped in another score in the 54th minute. Tumwater lofted 11 shots on goal for the day.

W.F. West coach Allen Anderson noted that Tumwater is an experienced team laden with upperclassmen who know how to put the pressure on a defense. In light of that duress he was more or less pleased with the way his team performed.

“Trevor Jensen played really well for us on the back line tonight and Bryce Laufenberg, one of our defenders. Both of them had probably their best games of the year. I was really proud of them and the effort they put in,” said Anderson. “We did a pretty good job tonight of keeping our defensive shape, especially since we were missing some guys.”

W.F. West (3-5-3, 1-4 league) will host Aberdeen on Thursday.

United Puts Hands on Stove, Wins Anyway

STEVENSON — The United boys of south Lewis County fell behind early before rebounding for a 3-1 win over the Bulldogs here on Tuesday in 1A Trico League boys soccer play.

Stevenson drew first blood with a goal by Ethan Fuller on a direct kick in the 30th minute.

That lead held for six minutes before Gustavo Barragan notched a goal for United off of a pass from Isaac Garibay.

That score sent the teams to intermission all tied up but United coach Horst Malunat was not satisfied by those early returns. He registered one complaint in particular.

“I’d say just complacency. We haven’t lost and I told them to be mentally ready and sometimes it’s like a child — You tell them not to touch the stove and they don’t listen until they touch the hot stove. I think them scoring the first goal was us touching the hot stove,” said Malunat.

In the second half United found their soothing salve. First, Barragan gave United a lead with a goal in the 50th minute with an assist by David Etheridge. Then Andreas Malunat topped things off with a goal assisted by Isaac Garibay in the 62nd minute.

Malunat noted that Garibay always seems to find himself close to the action for United.

“Garibay the last few games has come up with some assists, some goals, he’s pretty steady for us in the middle,” Malunat said.

United got up 21 shot on target shots in the contest while Stevenson managed just two shots.

Malunat said that goalkeeper Alan Contreras was none too pleased with himself for allowing the early score.

“He takes things so personal. Even after the game he’s so angry that we gave them one goal. I just told him he’s got to let it go,” Malunat said. “We’ve got to get ready for White Salmon.”

United (7-0-4, 7-0 league) will host Columbia-White Salmon for a league match on Thursday at Winlock.



You may also like...

Leave a Reply