Wednesday’s 2A Tennis: Tigers Trip Up W.F. West Netters, 5-1
Centralia swept the singles matches on its home courts Wednesday to earn a 5-1 win over rival W.F. West.
The match, played in the second half of April, was still the Tigers’ first Evergreen 2A Conference contest of the season, thanks to a slew of rainouts. The Tigers’ only other match to date was a nonleague loss to Columbia River back on March 30.
“I’m very pleased with our team’s focus, despite not playing much tennis outdoors,” Centralia coach Deb Keahey said.
Rachel Wilkerson, Claire Davis and Carissa Kaut swept the singles matches in order, with each winning in two sets.
Kaut, a freshman who won 6-1, 6-0, was particularly impressive, Keahey noted.
“(She) keeps getting stronger throughout the season, and today she was relentless,” Keahey said. “She had some tough serves and they are always a great confidence booster.”
Hannah Jeffries and Ellie Corwin won 6-3, 6-2 in the top doubles match, topping Mya Davis and Megan Wilkes.
“Both teams played great tennis,” Keahey said. “It’s fun watching Hannah and Ellie move together with such ease on the court.”
Maryanna Wu and Sophie Hansen won at No. 3 doubles for Centralia, while Morgan Lakey and Joelle Chung registered the Bearcats’ win, 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 2 doubles match.
Centralia (1-1, 1-0 league) plays at Black Hills on Thursday, and hits the road for a nonleague match against Three Rivers Christian on Friday. W.F. West (2-3, 0-2 league) hosts Tumwater on Friday.
CENTRALIA 5, W.F. WEST 1
1. Rachel Wilkerson (Cent.) def. Sydney Cameron 6-4, 6-3
2. Claire Davis (Cent.) def. Lexie Akins 6-2, 6-0
3. Carissa Kaut (Cent.) def. Tina Chen 6-1, 6-0
1. Hannah Jeffries/Ellie Corwin (Cent.) def. Mya Davis/Megan Wilkes 6-3, 6-2
2. Morgan Lakey/Joelle Chung (WFW) def. Taviana Keahey/Megan LeDuc (Cent.) 6-2, 6-2
3. Maryanna Wu/Sophie Hansen (Cent.) def. Kiara Steen/Ashley Werner (WFW) 6-0, 6-3